Friday, March 03, 2006

Skewed

The following is an instant messenger conversation I had with a 2k regular the other night near the end of a session. His IM screenname has been changed but none of the conversation has been changed. A portion of the conversation in which I described what my college friends are doing now and he described a set over set hand against RazorEdge has been removed.

I think the conversation speaks for itself about a lot of the "issues" faced by the young, (overly?) successful poker pro today.

___

NYGiants89: my last 2 monhts have been hell
NYGiants89: i am still winning, but no where near my rate
NYGiants89: amd it is frustrating
ThomMarsFull: what is your year to date if you don't mind me asking
NYGiants89: close to 55K
NYGiants89: which is ugly
NYGiants89: but without rakback something more like 50K
NYGiants89: and trust me
NYGiants89: it has been extemely nasty
NYGiants89: i can easily put togerhere a 100K monht
NYGiants89: just need to do it soom
NYGiants89: february started on pace for 100K, then it tturned to shit
ThomMarsFull: why don't you cry about it
ThomMarsFull: you poor bastard
ThomMarsFull: "only 55k"
ThomMarsFull: we better start a collection fund
ThomMarsFull: wouldn't want you to win "only 500k" this year
ThomMarsFull: that would be completely unacceptable
NYGiants89: 50K throguh 2 monhts
NYGiants89: not 50K a month
ThomMarsFull: (tear)
NYGiants89: haha
NYGiants89: you are cathing up on a dialy basis my friend
NYGiants89: i see you are killling it lately
ThomMarsFull: whatever
ThomMarsFull: that's not important
NYGiants89: yes it is
NYGiants89: i think we are all very competitve people
NYGiants89: now you know you dont have to fold to me every time
NYGiants89: call when i have top set
ThomMarsFull: hehe
ThomMarsFull: I had KQ
NYGiants89: got ya
ThomMarsFull: woulda paired rive
NYGiants89: i actually made a mistake there
NYGiants89: i ddint realize how short the toher guy wsa
NYGiants89: i should have put him in
ThomMarsFull: yeah
ThomMarsFull: I was wondering what you were doing flatcalling
NYGiants89: being a moron
ThomMarsFull: prolly should have done so myself
ThomMarsFull: nice silly beat you just took
NYGiants89: ah whatever
NYGiants89: i am not made
NYGiants89: just table image
NYGiants89: i do htis shit
NYGiants89: they pay me off
NYGiants89: its acutally funny
NYGiants89: i dont get mad
NYGiants89: i am glad these guys call that
ThomMarsFull: hehe
NYGiants89: the funny part is taht hte respond like i am actually mad
NYGiants89: i have done this for way too long to get mad
NYGiants89: althouhg without the absurds beat i ahve jjust taken in the past 400 hands i would be up 3K
NYGiants89: instead i am even
ThomMarsFull: god man I feel so bad for you
ThomMarsFull: you must be the unluckiest guy alive
ThomMarsFull: to be up only 50k in 2 months!
ThomMarsFull: I mean jesus!
ThomMarsFull: what has this world come to?
ThomMarsFull: only fifty thousand bucks!
NYGiants89: let me clarify that
NYGiants89: i was making more than double before
NYGiants89: and recently it has gone to hell
NYGiants89: so that is my current mindset
NYGiants89: bad beat and my confidence is down
NYGiants89: does that clarify
ThomMarsFull: yes
ThomMarsFull: what I am saying
ThomMarsFull: is it is very silly
NYGiants89: it is all relative man
ThomMarsFull: to complain about making "only 50k"
ThomMarsFull: you should consider yourself lucky
ThomMarsFull: 5 years ago none of this would have been possible
ThomMarsFull: almost everyone in the world makes less than you
ThomMarsFull: and probably works harder
ThomMarsFull: so to bitch about it is pretty silly
NYGiants89: hey man
NYGiants89: i am aware of this as well
NYGiants89: however
NYGiants89: like i said everything is relative
NYGiants89: when you increase your expectations and fail to meet them tehre is disappointment
ThomMarsFull: well make it unrelative
ThomMarsFull: agreed, and I know what you are talking about
ThomMarsFull: explain this hand to me
ThomMarsFull: it is senseless
ThomMarsFull: Dealt to APotIsAPot [ 9h 7h ]
slothr0p folds.
pit540540 calls [$20].
APotIsAPot calls [$20].
asiabeauty calls [$20].
ThisStoneAge folds.
mortalfrog folds.
cash_cow22 folds.
w00t4d0nks folds.
Draped_Up checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, 9d, 7d ]
Draped_Up checks.
pit540540 checks.
APotIsAPot bets [$78].
asiabeauty raises [$156].
Draped_Up folds.
pit540540 folds.
APotIsAPot calls [$78].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5h ]
APotIsAPot checks.
asiabeauty bets [$150].
APotIsAPot calls [$150].
** Dealing River ** [ Qh ]
APotIsAPot checks.
asiabeauty bets [$325].
APotIsAPot calls [$325].
asiabeauty shows [ Jc, Th ] a pair of tens.
APotIsAPot shows [ 9h, 7h ] two pairs, nines and sevens.
APotIsAPot wins $1349 from the main pot with two pairs, nines and sevens.
ThomMarsFull: I [expletive] it up
ThomMarsFull: I should have bet into her on the turn
ThomMarsFull: I was thisclose to folding river
ThomMarsFull: really was 50/50
ThomMarsFull: I mean is she bluffing?
ThomMarsFull: I don't think she knows
ThomMarsFull: she is a weird player
NYGiants89: i ddint see that hand
NYGiants89: but yeah
NYGiants89: i think you should have bet turn
ThomMarsFull: ok
ThomMarsFull: there's a blog entry I wrote about this
ThomMarsFull: in January
ThomMarsFull: you may have read it
ThomMarsFull: if not you should
ThomMarsFull: it is frustrating to me too
NYGiants89: blog entry about what?
NYGiants89: that hand
NYGiants89: or how to play that hand
ThomMarsFull: this issue of being disappointed
ThomMarsFull: or pissed
ThomMarsFull: with "only winning" so much
NYGiants89: cool
NYGiants89: i will check it out
ThomMarsFull: anyways
ThomMarsFull: it does bother me
NYGiants89: good news i just stacked razor edge
ThomMarsFull: 1) to not make as much as I have maid in the past
ThomMarsFull: very good news
NYGiants89: so that is always gratifying
ThomMarsFull: send me the hand history
ThomMarsFull: god I love taking that [expletive] down
ThomMarsFull: 2) to not make as much as my peers
NYGiants89: i alreayd closed the table
NYGiants89: but i coudl tell you about the hand
ThomMarsFull: yes please do
NYGiants89: but you finish firy
ThomMarsFull: go ahead and type it
ThomMarsFull: while I articulate
NYGiants89: i cant really chalk it up to great play
NYGiants89: more so good spot
NYGiants89: hang on
NYGiants89: i got AA
ThomMarsFull: let me tell you about what my friends are doing…

…NYGiants89: so you got a very solid support system
ThomMarsFull: every one of those people I mentioned
NYGiants89: both parents have good jobs
ThomMarsFull: is as smart as me
ThomMarsFull: or maybe smarter
ThomMarsFull: every one
ThomMarsFull: made less $$ in 2005 than I did
NYGiants89: i just read an article written by one of the best poker players i know
ThomMarsFull: and I am on pace to make more than any of them in 2006
NYGiants89: he makes more $ than me
ThomMarsFull: and it has not been a strong year at all so far
ThomMarsFull: and
ThomMarsFull: I work probably about half as much as any of them on average
NYGiants89: he wrote and article about the imbalance in society that poker has caused
NYGiants89: basically citing what you are talking about
NYGiants89: alot of teenagers and eartly 20 kids makeing hunderds of thousands
NYGiants89: i love it
NYGiants89: i truly love it
NYGiants89: the way i see it, i was too young to capitialize on the stock market explosion of hte 90s
NYGiants89: too young to take advantage of the real estate boom
NYGiants89: but..........
NYGiants89: i am definitely taking advantage of the poker boom
ThomMarsFull: well there you go
ThomMarsFull: lucky you
ThomMarsFull: now quit bitching
NYGiants89: wheich imo wsa the biggest boom since a long itme
NYGiants89: hahhhahah
NYGiants89: you cleared my mind a liitle
NYGiants89: but like i said i do realize how fortunate i am
NYGiants89: but expectations and goals are set for reasons, and when you dont reach them you cannot be happy about thath
ThomMarsFull: yeah well
ThomMarsFull: agreed
ThomMarsFull: another blog entry you should read
ThomMarsFull: is my first of 2006
ThomMarsFull: talking about where I am going this year
ThomMarsFull: and how I am going to dominate
ThomMarsFull: and become huge
NYGiants89: hey trust me man
ThomMarsFull: that has been tossed on the back burner
NYGiants89: we got PLENTY of time
ThomMarsFull: yes
NYGiants89: it is only march
NYGiants89: i still plan on having a couple 100K monhts
ThomMarsFull: not me
NYGiants89: and you are very capable of that
ThomMarsFull: will never log the hours for that
ThomMarsFull: nah
NYGiants89: yes you are
NYGiants89: oh well
ThomMarsFull: but I am learning to deal with that
NYGiants89: that is the # 1 requiremtn
NYGiants89: VOLUNE
NYGiants89: VOLUME
ThomMarsFull: nope
ThomMarsFull: not me
NYGiants89: gotta play lots of hands
ThomMarsFull: too much other stuff to do
ThomMarsFull: nope
NYGiants89: that is cool
NYGiants89: no prob
NYGiants89: i am just saying
ThomMarsFull: not gonna play 50 hrs a week
ThomMarsFull: when it is 70 degrees outside
NYGiants89: you hear of all these people making tons of money
ThomMarsFull: when there are 8 great movies that I haven't seen
NYGiants89: its becasue they log crazy hours
ThomMarsFull: well good for them
ThomMarsFull: not gonna be me
NYGiants89: dude i completely understand that
ThomMarsFull: they can look back in 10 years
NYGiants89: all i am saying is that is how it is done
ThomMarsFull: proud of all the money they've made
NYGiants89: i agree with both sides
ThomMarsFull: I will look back and think about all the sunny days I played frisbee golf
NYGiants89: all i was saying was the requirements
NYGiants89: balanced life is key
NYGiants89: i lift weights 4-5 times a week
NYGiants89: so i do alot of other stuff
NYGiants89: i told you i got a full time job as a mechanical engineer right
ThomMarsFull: yes
NYGiants89: cool
NYGiants89: alright well gl
ThomMarsFull: you play PP at work?
NYGiants89: i am out for tongith
NYGiants89: hell no
NYGiants89: but i wish
ThomMarsFull: ok one more question
ThomMarsFull: you going to WSOP?
NYGiants89: i wouls get fired for that
NYGiants89: yeah most likely
ThomMarsFull: ok
NYGiants89: i will not play ME
ThomMarsFull: ??
NYGiants89: unless i win a seat
ThomMarsFull: this continues to confuse me
NYGiants89: but i will be there for the cash games
NYGiants89: haha
ThomMarsFull: know all these guys who make more than me
NYGiants89: dude the ME is like playing roulette
ThomMarsFull: but won't fork over 10k for a tourney
ThomMarsFull: I do it all the time
NYGiants89: yeah
ThomMarsFull: even forked over 15k for Bellagio in Dec
NYGiants89: and i hope you win that shit
NYGiants89: i really do hope you win it
ThomMarsFull: yeah well
ThomMarsFull: I'm gonna win one eventually
NYGiants89: all i am saying is that i feel like it is too big of a gamble
ThomMarsFull: it is 10k
NYGiants89: but i am gonna try and win a seat treally hard
ThomMarsFull: you just said you make 100k in a month
NYGiants89: so i will probably end up playing
ThomMarsFull: anyways
ThomMarsFull: reason why I ask
ThomMarsFull: myself, my friend Paul
ThomMarsFull: who used to be half of GnightMoon
ThomMarsFull: now plays on his own acct
NYGiants89: ok
ThomMarsFull: gamblegambel
ThomMarsFull: perhaps some others
ThomMarsFull: are getting a house
ThomMarsFull: for the duration of the WSOP
ThomMarsFull: tell me if you are interested
NYGiants89: nice
NYGiants89: yeah i would be
NYGiants89: but i will probably only be there for like 2 weeks
NYGiants89: not thew whole time
ThomMarsFull: ok
ThomMarsFull: you could rent
NYGiants89: true
NYGiants89: we will stay in contact about this too
NYGiants89: alright well im out
NYGiants89: ttyl
NYGiants89: gl
ThomMarsFull: goodnight
NYGiants89 signed off at 1:29:19 AM.

___

Last night: +456

Year to date: "only" 38,142

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home