Monday, January 12, 2009

Forever

I went down to the post office this afternoon to mail my application to be on the 19th season of Survivor. I decided to pick up some stamps while I was there. The clerk asked if I wanted the "Forever" stamps. He informed me they cost the same as the other stamps, but work even when rates go up. They work forever, in 2050 or whenever, when stamps will likely cost much more than they do now. I asked why anyone would buy the regular stamps and he said only for variety and aesthetics. He also said the Forever stamps will go up in price when rates go up again. So I bought a whole bunch of stamps. I figured I might as well just get my stamps squared away for the foreseeable future.

I did not accomplish my primary goals of 2008, but I felt the year wasn't a total wash because I was able to move forward on some things that I plan on being part of my life for many years to come. I have found that the pursuit of long-term activities and relationships is ultimately more rewarding than the chase of quick fixes. In 2009 I aim to segregate these activities even further, cutting out the more wasteful ones and focusing harder on those that have a chance to pay dividends in the future. This will not be an easy task. I did, after all, begin this post with mention of my Survivor application. Traditionally so much of my life has been spent on frivolous endeavors, undertaking more affecting enterprises may prove difficult and ultimately undesirable.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you would do real good on Survivor, LOL!!! Hi, I am Tom, got any vitamin water? I really think the Giants are the best team, #1 so many weeks in my power poll!

You could fly under the radar for awhile, I could see you making it to the final 8. You would have a brilliant plan to turn the tides on the power alliance only to doubt yourself on implementing the plan and get voted out yourself.

Here's a challenge for YOU! 2009 NFL Season picks against the spread, best record for $10K! Let me know I am serious!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How many "forever" stamps were purchased?

12:03 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

You got it gmorningsun...doubt if you have 10k to burn however.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DONE! My first thought was $25K challenge Tommy BOY! Maybe we will increase before the season kicks off! We can figure out a way to put the funds in a third party escrow account or work something out via on-line poker account transfer. Keep in touch Tommy!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

About fucking time!

1:47 PM  
Blogger gaamblor said...

I would just like to say I appreciate the level of effort it would seem you put into the pictures that accompany most posts. So don't cut that relatively fruitless activity out

I am however a bit disappointed that this post didn't go in the direction of a the bottle return scheme episode of seinfeld

11:58 PM  
Blogger Nappy said...

Tommy Boy! LOL! Has GMorning ever revealed himself to the public or is he just an anonymous hater

12:24 AM  
Blogger Ethan & Amanda Foulkes said...

I would like to thank you for posting about the Forever stamp...

My husband now thinks we should invest all income in postage.
First an RV, now the stamp! What's next?!?!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home