Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lessons Learned in Commerce, CA

The poker world is in a sad state right now. Half the time I was at Commerce “the poker capital of the world” the biggest no-limit game going was 10-20. Meanwhile, in Vegas, the $25k WPT Championship at Bellagio drew 606 entries in 2006, 639 in 2007, 545 last year, and just 337 this year.

Still, I did manage to sit in the softest $10-20 NLHE game I have ever seen, including PartyPoker.

People don’t reraise as much live, and they often get called when they do.

The biggest mistake I have made throughout my live tournament career is not bluffing enough. I often have the sort of image that provides the opportunity to get thinking players to lay down big hands. Understanding and utilizing my table image has always been a major weakness of mine in live poker.

Adam Friedman is one hell of a poker player.

There are still places in this country where you can get a good haircut for ten bucks.

Playing live cash games thrusts the saddest aspects of poker right in front of your eyes. You see the bad people, the lowlives, the degenerate gamblers. You see the sad old men who keep digging into their pockets for another buy-in. You see the dead money fish who have no chance and will inevitably lose all their money unless they stop. At times it feels like you are just taking money from people. You have to remind yourself they are there of their own free will.

You also see people take gutwrenching bad beats with total class, refusing to betray the slightest emotion. I saw a 9k pot (all-in on the turn) get shipped the other way on a cruel two-outer. I got in with Q4 against A4 and JJ on an 844 flop in a 10k pot. When a queen hit the river, the guy with the A4 hardly batted an eyelash. He just shipped the money and went to the cage.

Due in part to some of these observations, combined with a longstanding desire to do more with life and a couple other recent developments, I believe I am nearing the end of my official professional poker career. More on this later.

10 Comments:

Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Didn't you retire like...1.5 years ago?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

I support trying new things in life, although, as I am finding, even professional careers where you are getting paid to help people and be smart leave gaping holes in your life that must be filled with other things. If you find out all of those other things, let me know.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you win any $?

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its really hard not to leave a snarky comment when you mention quiting poker in this blog, but I'm going to resist that temptation. I'm looking forward to your next recap.

L

7:26 PM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

My next screen name is going to somehow involve the word snarky!

9:06 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

TheSnarkySnark (shark icon on FTP).

4:43 AM  
Anonymous grtwhitehoop said...

First, the numbers at the WPT should (and the cash game stakes for that matter) not be surprising, since, the world is in the worst economic state of the past 75 years. Second, I can't handle this blog's roller coaster of emotions. One minute you're excited to dominate the WSOP and the next day you're ready to call it quits cause you played with a bunch lowlifes at commerce. Third, your hometown DENVER NUGGETS are the #2 seed in the playoffs and Chauncey Ba ba ba Billups is DOMINATING the so called best point guard in the league in the first two games. Wheres the sports piece regarding the rich and creamy nuggets making one of the most lopsided trades in NBA history, thus vaulting the perennially underachieving franchise to the top of the Western Conference, setting up a surefire date with Lakers for a shot at the finals? Ok, I'm done bitching and making miraculously long run-on sentences.

1:02 PM  
Blogger PunkyPickett said...

"the rich and creamy nuggets"... is anyone else picturing little turds in uniforms bouncing around a basketball court? lol.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is slightly disingenious:

Due in part to some of these observations, combined with a longstanding desire to do more with life and a couple other recent developments, I believe I am nearing the end of my official professional poker career.

conveniently coinciding with the fact that you are not having a ton of success right now.

4:14 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

No one is arguing or denying that, anonymous.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home