Monday, June 07, 2010

Event #13 1k NL

These tournaments are all about profiling. In my opinion, a good tournament player should throw out most of the fundamentals and focus on the players. Starting hands lose importance (though you will need to make some hands to do well in such a shallow structure). Many players in these 1ks will make absurd folds because they are so scared of busting, and others will make absurd calls because they have no hand-reading abilities. The players play so badly that ABC poker will get it done if you get some hands. But if you really want to crush these things, I believe you need to quickly profile people and put the heat on those that don't want to go broke.

Today I got off to a great start before a table change. I then bluffed off most of my stack to a player I had wrongly profiled as a guy who would be scared to call it off with one pair. From there on out I could never quite get to a comfortable position and after another change went broke four-betting AJo from the big blind in a spot where I thought a young player named kingdan was making a light reraise of an original open.
___

Congratulations to Matt Matros, winner of the $1500 limit hold em!

1 Comments:

Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

It never ceases to amaze me how truly awful the play is in the low-buyin WSOP events. I likened it on my blog to the play in the nightly $25 or $26 buyin mtts on full tilt or stars, and I think for the most part it's the same people in both -- people looking to take their shot at winning something big at the lowest possible buyin point to get there.

I agree with you 100% on the profiling point -- frankly, this is how I end up playing in most of the live tournaments I have ever played in -- but I would still be interested in hearing more about your approach / strategy in tackling the low buyin WSOP tournaments, given that you have had some success in them.

Sorry we did not get to meet up. Can't believe I was one table away from you in Event #8 but could not find you.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home