Saturday, July 10, 2010

Venetian 1k

A hand came up today where I had flopped top pair, a guy turned a set, and I wound up paying him off because the line didn't make much sense. Even though there weren't many hands I thought he could have that beat me, it was still a standard fold considering the opponent. But I didn't fold.

It has been a long time since I ran hot in a poker tournament. That one run is keeping me afloat on the year, allowing me to keep firing bullets without dipping into the red. All the others are slowly weighing on me, and sometimes I make poor decisions. It's a psychological challenge to let go of top pair when it's the best hand you've seen in the last ten hours of play. It's hard to play your best after walking through the muck for the last three months. I am caught in an ugly cycle of running bad and playing bad, and it seems like the better I play, the worse I run. But at the end of the day, I have to face it that I have blown a few tournaments on mistakes.

The idea of winning or even final-tabling a poker tournament is inconceivable to me right now, but I will be playing at least one more before leaving town.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Wanger said...

I wonder if that's something you can ask yourself mid-hand. "If this was my first hand at the table, how would I play it".

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home