Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Seven Days of Goodness: Day Two

I delivered ibuprofen, lotion, q-tips, disposable razors, shaving cream, deodorant, toothbrushes and toothpaste to the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless on north Broadway. I had never been there before, and was struck by its urbane environment. It seemed like the kind of place I could spend some time volunteering - in the idyllic vision I have for the Future Life. It's a vision I've had for a while, but most of the time, it's been merely a vision.

If I was truly altruistic, I would naturally volunteer at places like the homeless shelter and I would have been doing so for years. And I certainly wouldn't feel the need to blog for a week about what great stuff I was doing. I'm not that person and never have been.

But I want to be that person. I don't have a clue what I'm doing. If not for the ingenuity and guidance of a special friend whose knowledge and experience in the altruistic dwarfs mine, I wouldn't even be able to come up with seven different things to do this week. I really do want to make the world a better place. Whether that's legitimate altruism or the unsatiated frustration of my own parasitic tendencies is up for debate. In any case, I want to learn. That's the premise of this stunt - learning to be better, even if the method isn't organic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bag said...

For day 2, I went and purchased a bunch of parking meter tickets downtown that were good until the meters stopped running (7:00PM), and handed them out to people about to pay. It was right around 5:30 so a lot of people were showing up on Pearl for dinner.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check with your local United Way or Community Foundation, or even the Rotary, Lions, or Jaycees. They probably have a group specifically for younger people who are looking to be better at doing community service.

10:41 AM  
Blogger 81Trucolors said...

This is cool you guys. No need to be altruistic IMO as long as the deeds are good. Lots of philosophy on this thought process.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

I'm with Tru. Doing good is good. You may also be familiar with the idea that it takes 30 days straight to make something a habit.
As far as ideas your Buffs basketball team could use whatever charity you have to offer...

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better up your game Bag. A little weak so far...

10:40 PM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Judging good deeds is weak...

9:43 AM  
Blogger HartmanNZ said...

Long term suggestion, because it's probably hard to set up this week, but tutoring is something you'd probably enjoy that is also a great service opportunity. Whatever age you feel comfortable with, just talk to the schools, they'd love your help.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home