Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Home


I got a lot of advice on how to deal with the re-entry blues, but I couldn't avoid them. I didn't realize Boulder would be the same place. I was shocked to find I was the same person. It feels like I was gone a couple weeks. I'm stunned by how quickly and naturally I've resumed old ways.

In Africa I thought about all the vintage things I'd do when I got home. Most of those things have disappointed. It's an unexpected mix of new/wondrous and old/stalwart things that delight:

Self-serve frozen yogurt
Meditation
Meeting new people
Gotye
Of Monsters And Men
Game of Thrones Season II

Beer
Running
Survivor
Dogs
Hiking
Agricola
Cheese
Game of Thrones                
                                       

I panicked for a week. It felt like the walls were closing in, that inexorable forces were making me into something terrifying that I've always been. But there are differences. I do have the power to change some things. It's a mesmerizing battle between old and new, what I do now and what I thought in Africa I should be doing now. I don't always know which side to root for.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about the new season of the Bachelorette! It will be the most dramatic season ever!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to have you back.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Nerg said...

Toob,
Welcome back, I'm excited to see you in a few days. We may have to play some VTG or agric or something. Also, whoever built that trail in the foreground of your photo did a marvelous job.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home