Monday, March 20, 2006

The $300 NL

I played my good, solid, supertight early game and slowly accumulated chips. I flopped a set vs AA for a near double and then ground it out without getting much for a couple hours. Then I got in with 9c8h against 2c2d on a 7d6s2sTc board for a monster pot and the river was a T. Pickett accumulated quite a few chips before losing a monster race to bust with AK vs QQ. The Gambler and the Fish did not last too long.

It was fun to play real poker again - it's been two months. Everything feels more comfortable and more exciting live than online. But it's hard for me to play live - I can't stand waiting for hands. I do play patiently in tournaments but I don't think I can play my best cash game live unless the stakes are high enough to get me motivated to avoid the siphon.

I'm starting to wonder a bit about my commitment to the game. Once I got back over the hump in February I kind of lost my motivation to play. It's not like I'm running bad or hating the game or anything but I just never feel that need to play. I'd rather go bowling or watch a movie. There's a very good post about this called "Boredom" at http://www.thepokerchronicles.com/. I still fiend to play the big live tournaments, but I question my ability to consistently grind in the cash games and lower buy-in tournaments. I'm not really sure where this leaves me as far as the future is concerned. Luckily I've managed to make enough money that I can play sparingly and do some other stuff with my time, and at the moment that looks like what I'll be doing from April until the WSOP. Right now it's hard to even call me a "professional poker player."

___

Yesterday afternoon (tournaments): -736
Last night (live 3-5 NL): -335
Today (tournament): -330

Year to date: 49,086

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home