Monday, January 22, 2007

Redemption

I hate the Indianapolis Colts. Always have, always will. They've never had any of the qualities I admire in sports. Overachieving. Scrappiness. Playing your best when it really matters. Coming together as a team in special situations.

I don't care for Peyton Manning. The guy doesn't have a likable personality, on or off the field. A big, stodgy jock born and bred for football. Not much else to report. Like his team, never raising his game with the raised stakes.

I'm not a big Tony Dungy fan. Think he's overrated. Think he's always been loaded with talent and choked it away in the playoffs.

I'll never like the Colts. I'll be rooting (and betting) against them in two weeks. But today, watching them overcome their nemesis New England Patriots in the AFC Championship, with a Super Bowl berth at stake, after being down 21-3, I smiled just a little bit. Most of it was a disgusted smile. But a little of it was the real thing. It's great to see redemption like that, so clear. Working hard year after year to do your best. Not giving up when things are going badly. Redoubling your effort when the situation calls for it. Coming through in the clutch. It's what sports are all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home