Thursday, July 12, 2007

WSOP ME Day 2 Anthology of Hands

Any and all recommendations encouraged! Stealing the format of these blogs from Joe Pelton, so thanks to Joe.

R = raise
C = check
CR = check raise
HJ = hijack (two off button)
CO = cutoff (one off button)

Day 2
500-1000-100
29,500 chips
Table:
1 Older fellow complete fish
2 Standard
3 Standard
4 Me
5 Neil Channing making predictable aggressive moves and siphoning chips before calming it down
6 Standard
7 good LAG Asian
8 Very good
9 tight short stack

Plan is to play super tight. Plan is encouraged when I see this is a loose-aggressive table.
First BB they walk me. Good things are going to happen to me today.
Fold KTo MP.
Fold T7s UTG.
Channing limps UTG 1 Rs the minimum I fold 86o in BB
Folds to me in SB AQ ready to go with this one R to 3700 Channing folds
Fold 65o on button blinds have 82 and 32
2 R EP I fold AJo
8 R EP I fold KQo in SB
7 limps 8 limps 2 limps button 3 limps SB I C 76dd in BB. Flop 6h6s2h. SB C I C 7 bets 3k 8 quickly calls 3 now CR to 8500 with 16k behind. Jesus what a spot. I later learned that 3 had some game but right now I think he is a very standard player. Raising gets me the pot, if I have the best hand. It busts me out of the tournament if I don't. We have a bet, a call, and a raise, all from good players. I tanked a good minute or two, during which it must have been obvious I had six. I actually folded, which someone later told me less than 1% of players would do. I think the correct play was actually to flatcall, which would scare the bejesus out of everyone in the pot. I think if I flatcall here all hands but the ones that beat me are completely shutting down. If they bet the turn I think I can safely fold the worst hand and still be in the tournament. Calling does allow the flush draws to hang around but even if they hit they will be scared I have a boat and they won't get much value anyways.
Next hand I limp A2o SB Channing R 4k more from BB. Maybe supposed to move in here but I fold. Large R by Channing made me think he had some crap that barely beat me like 33 or a bad ace.
Fold QTo CO. 24k.
Button R fold Q7s in BB.
Next hand 6 R UTG to 3500 1 calls 2 calls I have 77 in SB. God almighty. Think and fold. 6 had AK and made a flush to beat 2's 66 on 632ddd flop.
2 R to 3k with 4500 behind 3 RR to 8k I fold 77 again. 2 has KQ 3 has AQs I would have beat both.
Fold A9o 2nd pos.
Button limps I limp 65o SB BB C. Flop J65r C C C. Turn Qc C C button bets 2k I instapush for 18k more they fold quickly.
Next hand fold A3o button.
Next hand HJ R to 3k fold A4s CO. Interestingly enough 3 goes busto here making a big play vs the Asian with his own A4s on KT4.
2 is replaced by a Mansion poker guy with 65k.
1 R EP I fold A8o.They'll need a suckout or cooler to get rid of me today, I think.
Fold 87s EP.
1 limps LP I limp SB A6o Channing checks BB flop AT7 two diamonds C C C. Turn pairs the 7 C C 1 bets 4k (overpot) I call. River K C C he has KQdd and can't play the hand much worse. I win.
3 replaced by Action Bob Hwang with 50kish.
Dead BB 8 R UTG I think about resteal J8o but fold.
30,100 at the break despite playing zero hands except the blinds.

600-1200-200.
Dead SB fold J9o CO.
R J9s 3500 CO puts in 4000 I'm not certain if he saw me raise.
Flop AKKr I C he quickly bets 5k. I think a long time about a complicated bluff but ultimately decide I don't have the chips and fold. Definitely effed this one up.
Fold Q9o UTG.
Channing limps UTG Bob limps SB I C 72cc in BB. Flop KcJ3c CC Channing bets 2800 AB calls I tank and then flatcall. Turn 3d C C C. River 9 C I think about stealing but know I'm getting called C Channing bets 4.5k AB calls I think about making a huge play but that line is too suspect I fold. Channing wins with AK.
Bob R 3600 HJ I shove 19.6k total ATs from CO he tanks (picture at right) and calls with ATs we chop. These math guys never fold.
1 limps pass K9o. 1 has QQ and busts on a classic slowplay flop, let scary turn card come, then casually throw away stack vs obvious straight.
9 replaced by a 15k stack.
R his BB to 3300 with 66 all fold.
6 R my BB fold Q8o.
Table playing kinda tough now no bad players. 21k.
Fold K8s CO.
1 replaced by a recreational player with 42k.
9 goes bust.
Everyone playing good. This would be a bad table even if I had chips.
Bob raises button, been raising a lot but that usually means the guy has something when he raises the button after raising a lot. Nevertheless I push SB with A8s for 19k thinking he's still gonna be raising playable shit like QJ and T9s. Channing in the BB makes the classic heartstopping "I call." Bob folds what he said was AT, Neil has KK, board comes JT7x9. nh Hoyt Corkins. 42k.
Table breaking soon. Lockdown Mode.
R 98s HJ they fold.
2 limps UTG fold KTs EP.
44,800 table breaks right as I was gonna be the BB.
Recognize no one at new table but Julian Gardner 3 to my left with some chips. Lots of biggish stacks here.
Right away a guy R UTG to 4200 a guy instashoves 29k total MP. UTG calls with AQ other guy has AJs. AQ wins. Afterwards AQ guy says he called "cause it was only 20k."Others at the table say "it was a good spot to make a a move with fives or sevens." Still in lockdown mode it appears.
Eventually peg table as:
1 LAG overplays hands
2 Too tight guy replaced by Claude Cohen later
3 dumbass replaced by Crasian
4 me
5 straightforward weak/tight donk
6 black guy with loads of chips, played LAG but maybe pretty good?
7 Julian Gardner
8 dumbass pretty LAG
9 dumbass LAG fish
But R next hand with 44 to 3300 Gardner calls. Flop AcJc9 I bet 5100 he folds. 50,700.
Fold K9s 2nd pos next hand.
Fold A2s UTG next hand.
Fold Q9s MP Gardner button. Flop QQ7 Gardner had KK so I prolly don't get to the flop anyways.
Fold A7s EP.
Guys continuing to play big pots without big hands. Still lockdown mode.
Limp 44 UTG of course 3rd pos R to 6800 folds i fold. Guy shows TT. Got to stop siphoning these limps. This table will be so easy to trap.
6 limps UTG I complete SB A7s. BB of course R 8k more now 6 RR 35k more on top of that.These guys play so bad and and aggressive. Need one hand for EZ doubleup.
8 R to 3800 (8 is huge fish) shortish stack calls I call on button 55 BB calls flop K44r. I thought it was checked to me I bet 6k now 8 says he never acted. In retrospect this was a bad bet at this maniacal table anyways, gotta be more careful with my chips. They let me take the 6k back and 8 bets 25k. Fold I fold BB instashoves for 130k 8 instacalls with AK. BB has 54s and scoops the 270k pot. 39,100 to end level.

800-1600-2009
R EP I fold A9o.
Incredibly bad poker here.
3 R fish calls in BB. Flop JT8 C C. Turn 9 fish leads for a pot bet guy calls. River 7 fish bets big 15k guy raises him 35k more allin fish calls with AQ guy mucks and says "I made a misread."
R 66 to 4k short stax in blinds. Questionable R with my stack and this table. Fish calls on button. Flop Q7h4h I bet 6k he quickly calls. Turn 2h I C he bets 15k I fold I feel helpless. 25k.
8 R EP 3 calls I fold 22 on button hating life.
More horrible play.
1 R fold KTo.
This might actually be the worst-playing table I've ever been at but I have no chips and can't play. 23k.
EP R fold A4s.
Fold A3s EP.
QJo UTG fold.
I look at another table and see the Italian Fish from day 1 still in. If he outlasts me I might light myself on fire.
9 R yet again saving me from shoving the SB with 93o BB wakes up with AK. 20k.
Folds to my CO fold 82o with 19.5k
Folds to my HJ fold J8o with 19.3k
3 R to 5k MP I shove 19.1k with 88 guy thinks about overcalling A9s but folds original raiser calls KQo I win. 42k.
HJ R fold A4o BB.
Folds to my SB BB is tight R in the dark to 5k he folds.
Limp AQo 3rd pos. Button limps donk in SB means to call but accidentally R to 5600 BB folds I instapush they fold. 52k.
8 R my BB I think he's weak but he's also terrible...I fold Q6s.
Gardner R to 5k EP the Crasian on my right calls on the button. Flop T83r Gardner checkraises all in for a crapload more, the Crasian calls without asking for a count with 97 and loses to Gardner's A8.
Gardner R UTG fold A7s button.
Claude Cohen sits down two to my right with 250k. Cohen limps fold A7o HJ.
Italian Fish at the other table doubles on a bad beat - the war has escalated.
Crasian opens for 5k from SB I put him in for 30k more BB with A2o he folds.
Cohen limps CO fold Q2o SB
R KQs CO Gardner's BB happy to take it down
Cohen Rs fold A5s
53,600 @ dinner
Now over 8 hrs since a pair over 88 or AK

1000-2000-300
Fold 33 UTGClaude raises button to 7k I have A9s in BB. Tricky spot I make it 30k he instajams I call he has KK board comes T84Ax Hoyt Corkins poker continues to get it done.
Crasian shoves 25k EP fold ATo behind him.
Fold KTo EP.
Walk
1 R to 7500 felt kinda strong I fold KQs on button.
CO R to 6k fold A6o in BB.
10 saves me from putting the BB in with 32o, BB had 66. 101k.
The Italian Fish has disappeared! Ship.
R K8s CO they fold. Table has calmed down substantially.
No one raising less than 3.5x BB, some raising more than 4x.
Fold 95s UTG felt like a tight fold.
I keep looking at an ace, then a line on the other card, it's always a four.
R CO yet again this time ATo, scared of a move but they fold again.
R K9s MP three hands later they fold.
Table has done a 180.
Crasian is shoving three times per round amazingly hasn't run into a hand yet.
Fold A2s 2nd pos very tempting.
I have KK in the BB, first pair above 8s in 9.5 hours, which is truly amazing if you think about it. Assuming 25 hands/hr, 9.5 hrs is 237 hands since I had 99-AA or AK. I'm supposed to have those hands an average of 9 times total, so zero is actually pretty amazing. Not sure what the standard deviation is but I believe the chances of not getting any of those hands for that long is below 1%. Anyways, they walk my KK.
Crasian R to 10k I fold A2 on button he shows AK.
Crasian open shoves 50k from HJ I call QQ CO he has 55 board comes J7456 down to 61k.
New kid sits down in 5 seat in BB first hand folds to me in SB I R to 7k without looking and say "welcome to the table" he folds.
Fold 95s HJ.
R Q9o UTG 5300. Quick folds to Crasian in BB (he has calmed down since the suckout double up) he calls. Flop AJ6 C I bet 7300 he makes it 20k I fold he shows AK says he wanted to throw it away preflop.
Gardner R 6500 EP I call in BB with KQdd think I am maybe supposed to toss this one preflop flop comes trash I check-fold.
8 R to 7k EP I have KQo in SB fold. 45k.

1200-2400-300
1st hand 9 R to 8800 I have KJo and fold.
LAG SB limps, Gardner R 10k more in BB, SB pushes, Gardner quickly calls 53k more allin with A9o and beats QTo. I think, this is how you win tourneys, play fearlessly and trust reads. I also think, you don't want to be playing all in pots with A9o even if you have the best hand.
Fold KJo UTG.
Once again they break our table the hand before I am BB. At new table miss the blinds completely. Running incredibly hot in this department.
Don't recognize anyone here most look like unskilled rednecks.
R 1st hand in CO without looking - new guys raising first hand always looks powerful also BB had no ante chips. They fold.
Here's a classic WSOP '07 hand:
guy limps UTG guy limps HJ blinds check
JJ6 flop checked to HJ he makes a small bet blinds fold UTG calls
turn J guy checks HJ overbets the pot allin UTG quickly calls with AA HJ turns over Q8o drawing dead and leaves
Redneck with 250k is opening pots for 15k
Button I have JTs and 43k, a couple pretty big stacks in the blinds who look like they might have some game. I decide to jam...not sure what the play is here. 49k now.
Interesting hand comes up where UTG, a Scandinavian fellow new to the table with a lot of chips, makes a standard raise and then the small blind with a big stack makes a standard reraise. Now UTG asks for a chip count and then says, "ok, I better raise 40k more" which was a standard third raise...SB goes into the tank here I start thinking about what I do with KK and decide I fold it, but I probably just call preflop, I hate reraising a UTG raiser in the small blind, it's such an obvious big pair. SB eventually folds very reluctantly and UTG shows QQ. SB looks disappointed but claimed he didn't have KK...I think he did and was ashamed.
R AQo to 6600 2nd pos. I definitely limp AK here but AQ I want to gather some info. BB calls. Flop QJ6 two spades, BB quickly shoves in. I know he has a flush draw. The whole table knows he has a flush draw. PiMaster at a table across the room knows he has a flush draw. The blind guy in the tournament knows he has a flush draw. Lacey Jones knows he has a flush draw. Moot point of course, I obviously call; I think I call this one with AK, proably even a pair lower than jacks. Anyways he has K8ss which I didn't want to see, turn is 2d but river is Ts. Goodnight Moon.

Overall it was strange for me to survive that long without picking up any hands or running any good bluffs. Bottom line is I think I did not have the cards to compete, but you be the judge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the word "crasian"

L

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, flushed on the river - standard. Great post and thanks for taking the time to go through your thought processes. I think you hit the nail on the head with having to play fearlessly and trusting your reads to win tournaments.. all the best and looking forward to hearing more about the beer project!

cheers
Max

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home