Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Dream Come True

About three weeks ago my friend Nate told me he had a dream that I got 4th place in the Austrian tournament which would be my final stop in this overseas voyage. It is strange that he had a dream about me playing poker and stranger that he remembered it. The fact that it actually ended up happening is a coincidence of such staggering odds that one must wonder if it actually was a coincidence at all.

The day I came to Baden, I first visited the museum at Sigmund Freud’s former home in Vienna. Freud was one of the central figures of my education so I deemed it necessary to visit his museum, especially since it was just a block from the hotel I was staying at. Freud’s work primarily dealt with psychoanalysis – the understanding of unconscious and/or repressed feelings and thoughts. Freud’s obsession with the unconscious mind eventually led him to dreams. His legendary 1899 work The Interpretation of Dreams begins like this:

In the following pages, I shall demonstrate that there is a psychological technique which makes it possible to interpret dreams, and that on the application of this technique, every dream will reveal itself as a psychological structure, full of significance, and one which may be assigned to a specific place in the psychic activities of the waking state.

Freud would interpret Nate’s dream as a commentary on his relationship with me, or something of that sort. I interpret it as evidence of Destiny, of a preordained Plan. At the least, I think I will start keeping a dream diary.

My notebook, where I write down every hand I play in the major tournaments, was its own diary of dreams throughout this tournament. I will begin posting the hands on this blog soon. You will see how fortunate I was in this tournament, how often I had to rely on luck to build my stack.

There were many times I was all-in during this tournament at risk of getting knocked out. Today, at the final table with five players, I was all-in with pair under pair – a one in five shot at survival. But I wasn’t meant to exit this tournament in fifth place.

After that lucky double-up, I played my best poker of the tournament and took the chip lead after several hours of four-handed play. I then played a gargantuan pot against Julian Thew, a gentleman, a father of two, a friend, a fantastic player, and a deserving champion. I had the best hand and would very likely win the tournament if I won that pot, but I wasn’t meant to win this tournament. I was meant to get fourth place.

And I am very happy with fourth place. I am very happy with my play today, certainly my best of the four days. I have played a lot of big tournaments, made a lot of mistakes, and been unlucky many times. In this tournament I made few mistakes and was very lucky for four days. I recouped all the losses I had endured on the tournament circuit in search of the Holy Grail. I won a large sum of money that dwarfs anything I have won before or anything I would have imagined possible while growing up.

I am so grateful for all the support, from my friends at home in the States as well as the media and players here in Baden. You know who you are and you mean so much.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations sir - your honesty and attitude to the game is something many other poker players should take note of!

cheers
Max

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jaheed said...

MOOOOOOOOOOON

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day. I'm very happy for you.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas - That smile is the same one I saw when you first rode on Ski Bob so many years ago. What a rush! Great to know you were sucessful. Love Uncle Jim and Aunt Julie

8:11 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

Great run man, and good post. Another thing to note is that in our most recent Power Hour we toasted to wishing you luck and recouping Circuit losses. Destiny? I think so. Also tell me more about this Ski Bob fellow you "rode."

11:06 PM  
Blogger PunkyPickett said...

Nice interview at the end. I was sad it was cut short by Thew's win.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan

11:37 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Holy crap man, that's awesome! You better have eaten your f'ing filet mignon! Congrats Tom!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weeeeeee....I read your blog and saw it all happen on the live stream. I was sure that you would somehow survive you exit hand, but what the heck. 4th was predicted and 4th is what you got.
GG sir...
Dickie D

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas, congrats. It's been fun getting to know you over the last year, and watching you make two final tables after "retiring" from poker.

Also, I had a good time chatting with the boys during the final table. Especially about the picture in this post. The E pa T live feed commentator put timeless words to this pic: "Thomas Fuller has the look of a predator."

8:10 AM  
Blogger 81Trucolors said...

I started railing the final table at 9:30 Mountain Time. I've never seen you so confident, so focused, and playing so well. Your evolution as a poker player and as a man has come incredibly far and I can't wait to see it continue. I wish I could have been there. Now get your ass back to the states so we can watch some football.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! 4th place is a great finish! Saw it on the EPT Live Stream. Nice that you enjoyed your stay in Germany!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice job molestor, i mean predator

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is victory so deserved and earned. I'm just one of many anonymous blog fans who are cheering you on. Thanks for having us along for the ride.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Cyrus said...

hell yes.

6:39 PM  
Blogger . said...

If it happened to anyone else I might feel some jealousy, but I couldn't be any happier that you are pwning.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi thomas,
i see ur multi talented...nice scribing skills.
great game young man, keep that up & you will have your big day for sure.
what fun eh, hope to cu at another one soon,
julian

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your winnings Tom.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home