Sunday, November 11, 2007

Not a Bad Day

I got 27th place in the FTOPS $500 6-max PLO tournament for $1478 this evening. I played with my friend Matt, a far better and more experienced PLO player than me. A while ago PiMaster formulated a Great Theory of PLO Tournaments which we used throughout the tournament with great success. The Great Theory is so effective that
  1. I don't want to reveal it on this blog
  2. I will use it to play PLO events at the WSOP this summer, even though I have logged less than 40 hrs of PLO in my life
PLO is all the rage right now for young NLHE pros much like myself. I have no delusions nor interest in becoming a great or even winning PLO cash player, but the entertainment and EV of playing PLO tourneys using The Great Theory are probably both already higher for me than playing NLHE tourneys.

After the PLO run ended, I made an even deeper charge in the FTOPS $100 rebuy tournament. I had a powerful chip lead with 20 players remaining, but was very unfortunate with two tables left and busted in the hated tenth place for $5391.

Right afterwards I got a message from my friend Adam who said "Any time you can turn four or five hundred into five thousand, that's not a bad day." He's absolutely right. It sucks to bust out of a tournament like that - 1600 players, 1st place $86k, 10th place $5400, chip lead with twenty left, mostly weak players left. But it's not a bad day.

4 Comments:

Blogger KajaPoker said...

I watched you play a bit last night. Well done in the rebuy. I loved that A6o vs A8o where you four flushed RealMafi. Flush Tilt Poker is so generous sometimes.

I had a strategy question to ask about that last hand though. You were the big stack at the table and jamming a few hands in a row. The stacks you were jamming into were 10-20% of your stack. Why jam with A6o when you know you only get called by a better Ace?

Good luck in the rest of the series.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

I think the description as "not a bad day" is accurate, and a good way to look at almost any profession. Take music for example: It is impossible to go out and produce great album after great album. At the end of the day as an artist (not that I have any musical talent) you want a step forward in creativity and maybe make a little money on the side, if you set your sights to make Abbey Road every time you are going to disappoint yourself and any fans. Same thing applies to lawyers, you are very rarely going to get everything you want for your client. Judges follow the mantra, "If both sides are unhappy when they leave then I've done a good job." If you string together enough of these not bad days, you aren't grinding through life, but rather building cumulative success. So keep on cumulating.

On another note, I absolutely love the so called "half-assed" top ten lists, especially in periods of a poker lull. The comments are fabulous, and I take them not as criticism of Tom Fuller, but as a type of discussion which Mac classrooms could only dream of achieving.

10:43 AM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

I felt like the jam with A6o was very standard. I don't remember the exact amounts the guys had but less than 11x BB which is my general cutoff for pushing with stuff like A6o (and my bustout hand KTo later). When you factor in the antes and the fact that you can suck out if they do call, those pushes are totally standard.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please divulge some PLO hands for me will ya?


-werth

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home