Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Triple Pot

Yesterday there was another sweet event at the Aussie Millions, a Pot Limit Holdem/Pot Limit Omaha/Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo $2200 tournament. I eventually hit a huge rush including a bad beat on Matt Graham and a big coinflip in hold em and took the chip lead with about 40 players left. It was interesting because I came in fearing the Omaha portions but it soon became obvious that I was way ahead of the field in PLO and especially PLO8 so I couldn't wait to get off hold em and get back to those games. I lost a huge pot in PLO8 to a guy who didn't know how to play PLO8 and confused me with a dumb play, and couldn't pick up a hand to save my life for quite some time in both Omaha games and expired in 14th place, short of the final table and the money.

I got to thinking at one point about how many hands I was playing in the Omaha games compared to how many I was playing in Hold Em opposed to one-time chip leader Eric Assadourian. I was playing a lot of hands in the Omaha games cause I felt I had a big advantage against the other players in those games. In Hold Em I don't always feel that way and my general strategy in tournaments is to play tight. I have often heard the idea that many poker players may not know their best game because they only play hold em. Based on a limited batch of results, I am starting to think that my best poker may lie in games other than no limit hold em, despite the fact this is the game I have predominantly focused on during my career.

In any case, the main event - which happens to be no limit hold em - starts tomorrow/today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home