Sunday, January 10, 2010

PCA Heads Up

I lost to my first opponent of the PCA $1100 heads up tournament. In the best of three format, I lost the first match, won the second, and had a solid lead before this hand came up in the third match:

Blinds 50-100. He has about 3700 and I have about 6300. I limped the button with QJo. There were reasons I limped rather than raised here but they are complicated and I won't get into them here. He checked his option. Flop J43 rainbow. He bet 150 and I raised to 400. He quickly called. Turn 3c, second club. He bet 650, I dwelled for a bit and called. River 2 he bet 1400. I thought a very long time.

Here are some of the things I know about him at this point:
  1. He is a good player, but I thought I was a little better
  2. He has not launched a big multi-street bluff throughout the match
  3. He is fairly nitty
  4. I believed my image to be a little looser and more aggressive than his, but nowhere near wild. In other words, I would expect him to give me some credit for a hand when I raised his flop bet
  5. Nothing physical other than the quickness of his flop call
I put him on one of three hands: 6-5, 5-2, or a full house. When he bet the turn I thought he could have a jack, but the more I thought about this player and his tendencies the more I felt he would have checked a jack to me on the turn. At first I was pretty sure I was calling because many good players could be value/block betting a jack-ten or jack-nine here, but I grew increasingly convinced he would check-call all of his jacks on the turn.

I did think he was tricky enough to bet out with two pair and call a raise, then bet out with a boat on the turn.

6-5 dominated all the other holdings. Everything about the way he played the hand, based on general poker strategy along with this player's unique tendencies, screamed 6-5. I told myself if he had 6-5, that would be precisely how he would play it.

5-2 is only slightly different from the 6-5. The biggest difference is that 5-2 makes bottom pair on the end where 6-5 makes the straight. Often players will check a pair on the end after bluffing their draw, but here a pair of deuces is very unlikely to be the best hand.

After tanking about all this for a couple minutes I resisted the urge to call and threw away my hand. I think my analysis was sound. What do you guys think?

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So do you put him on a 3, 65 or 2pair somehow....would he 4 bet you on the flop with 2 pair you think?

Was he donking flops a ton when you limped? Was he donking after a RR ever on flop or turn? I could see someone donks with bottom pair then calling a raise just cuz you could be raising anything on that flop with your position

Sorry long response...whoa! :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I like the fold, Moon. Seems like he mighta had a 3 in there along with something else that goes along with it.

Sorry about the PCA bubble, but it sounds like you played great to last as long as you did.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you play it tricky and limp pre-flop with those cards, you're out thinking yourself by considering a fold.

Flop bet, raise and call pretty much says he doesn't believe you.

Turn bet confirms it. You dwell and call.

River. Is a semi-bluff with a weak hand that believes your dwell up was real, say weaker jack or 4 or even ace high.

Can't fold that hand with those stacks and those blinds. You sold the dwell as real and got the bluff you wanted. Doh.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan Wanger said...

This is tough. You have no information about his hand of course...is it possible that he's smart enough to play a weaker jack that way hoping that he can bet you off a bigger one?

Maybe he has J4 and the pairing on the turn potentially killed his action?

His bet sizing seems straightforward...if I had enough time to think about it, I might back off the thought that he has 65...because he'd be block betting the turn, and given his stack, shouldn't he bet smaller?

I really have no idea if you were beat or not (though if I had to decide, I'd likely say yes). But if you're going to call the turn, you must call the river when a blank falls.

The river 2 only improves one single holding of his: 65.

11:35 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Bet out/just call a raise is a bit unusual for a flopped two pair in a limped pot but I thought he might have that in him. He was donking flops a fair amount though I wasn't often limping.

Disagreed with the idea that I "must call" the river if I call the turn. The mere fact he bet the river (and had bet all three streets) makes it less likely he's bluffing, as he had not made a play like that all match.

He told me after the match he had 5-2.

But I am satisfied with my analysis. I was losing to everything else unless he decided to make that play with A-5.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

So...why limp QJ in this spot? It seemed to complicate everything about this hand.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

I agree with Jeremiah. This should be a raise HU 95% of the time. Had he been re-raising a ton? If so, then with stacks I can see a good argument for a limp/call of a raise. Also, if you just call his flop bet, you can happily call two more streets if/when he barrels.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I do not think QJo is an automatic raise in heads-up play. I probably limp it half the time and raise it half the time.

If he truly had 52 in this hand (which I doubt) then he played it extremely strangely and in a way you likely could not have predicted.

1:23 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

I mix in some limps with strongish hands like QJ, especially in situations where I don't want to call a 3-bet or make a 4-bet but don't mind limp/calling. Based on the flow of the match and the stack sizes I felt this was the right time to limp the QJ. There's even more to it than that but I don't want to get into all that right now.

3:59 PM  
Blogger kwicky said...

I like the fold. I think the hands you have beat are 5,2 and air. The way you described the hand makes me think you could easily have a jack. Very few players will try to make their opponent fold top pair head up. As for what he had.. I think that he could have a number of hands, but I'd say the most likely hand is a 5,3 / A,3 type of hand, but I could also see him having KJ or 65 here. I don't think he had 5,2 because the river bet didn't really look like a bluff to me..

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home