Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Sombrero

I decided to play the $3500 main event here at Borgata on day 1b, Monday, instead of Sunday so I could play the super-size online tournaments. That decision backfired as I struck out in the seven I played without coming anywhere near a cash.

Here's an interesting hand from Wednesday's $100 6-max rebuy on Full Tilt where I put myself in an awkward spot:

Full Tilt Poker Game #17970344972: $200,000 Guarantee (Rebuy) (132836229), Table 106 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:38:43 ET - 2010/01/27
Seat 1: sprstoner (4,653)
Seat 2: benba (8,261)
Seat 3: casperPAPL (2,887)
Seat 4: GnightMoon (9,448)
Seat 5: Martin Klaeser (11,459)
Seat 6: PreshaDroppa (9,437)
GnightMoon posts the small blind of 60
Martin Klaeser posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GnightMoon [Jc Js]
PreshaDroppa folds
sprstoner folds
benba has 15 seconds left to act
benba folds
casperPAPL calls 120
GnightMoon raises to 420
Martin Klaeser has 15 seconds left to act
Martin Klaeser raises to 1,125
casperPAPL folds
GnightMoon has 15 seconds left to act
GnightMoon calls 705
*** FLOP *** [6h 7s 4c]
GnightMoon has 15 seconds left to act
GnightMoon checks
Martin Klaeser bets 895
GnightMoon has 15 seconds left to act
GnightMoon calls 895
*** TURN *** [6h 7s 4c] [8d]
GnightMoon checks
Martin Klaeser has 15 seconds left to act
Martin Klaeser bets 1,995
GnightMoon has 15 seconds left to act
GnightMoon has requested TIME

Thoughts?

6 Comments:

Anonymous zak said...

Pretty similar hand happened to me today. Except we both checked the turn. He had KK.
I need to learn to lay down those pairs.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as far as i know klaeser is an overly aggro player
definately give him a higher bluff % than the avarage oponent

8:31 AM  
Anonymous BlueFlare said...

Is the Villain from Den Haag?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I don't know anything about Klaeser, but generally speaking I do think the right move is a fold here. Sometimes I will go for a smallish raise on the flop to try to flesh out whether this guy is on a higher pocket pair or not, but otherwise I generally tend to just lay these down unless I have Kings or Aces, Tons of people bust all the time from tournaments like this with overpair vs overpair, and I hate losing like that without at least making some attempt to find out if my pair is best (via a raise) or without just folding and waiting for a better spot.

I think you are behind here with pocket Jacks more often than you are ahead -- either to a higher pocket pair or to a set -- so I think you should fold and wait for a better spot, understanding that you could be folding the best hand or folding to a draw on occasion but knowing that you made the +EV decision overall.

How did the hand end up? I will guess you got it allin, he was on some kind of a draw and got there to fvck you in the end.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous ReMMy said...

Is it worth building the pot like that preflop? Why not play it for a set or try to throw him off a little with a reraise to 240?

12:11 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Well that's the thing, if they have the big pair they always check the turn. That's why it was so goofy that he bet, it almost means he has a 5 or a bluff, but then why would he reraise with a 5, but then why would he bet without a 5?

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home