Thursday, December 07, 2006

Another Huge Run

I got 17th out of around 520 players in the 1.5k event. We started with 3000 chips and I was down to 1100 after the first two hours having not won a pot. The day featured everything - short stack play, big stack play, medium stack play, trying to trap maniacs, running over weak-tights, super-aggressors, horrible opponents, super tough opponents, suckouts, horrifying beats, won races, lost races, chip fluctuations, bluffs, laydowns, tight play, loose play. It was a tournament-play tour de force.

You learn so much from a day like this. And it seems like I still have something to learn about playing medium to short stacks in the late pre-final table stages of these tournaments. I have too many finishes in the 9-19 range. I don't know, it's hard to fight through to the final table without a double up when you don't have too many chips with two and three tables left. I think the real key lies in avoiding dipping to short-stack range when the play starts getting shorthanded. I may need to think more about making some wild plays when the tournament dips under 30 players.

I tried to learn from the gregarious and great Gioi Luong, who quietly and steadily picked up chips all day long (despite doubling me up in a massive pot with AQs vs my KK) en route to his 897th cash of the last three years and, likely, 453rd final table. Gioi has a truly ridiculous record of making cashes and final tables and I need to learn from guys like him how to make that next step. It's clear based on my results since the WSOP that I'm getting really damn good at NLHE tournaments but I'm not quiiiite there yet.

Seeing as it's now 6:45 AM I don't think I'll be playing in the 2k event.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spencetron said...

Way to go Tom. I can tell you from a history of mediocrity at tennis that finishes like this one do not reflect mediocrity, but rather a steady progression of getting better. Grind, Grind, Grind, and then someone will make a huge mistake and you'll end up winning

3:49 PM  
Blogger acehighwine said...

Congratulations on the run! And I think you're right with your thoughts on not dipping to short-stack range. That's something I'm also focussing on and I think the best way (for me anyhow) of working on that aspect of my tourney play is just open-pushing with a lot of hands. Sure, we play poker to PLAY poker, not just push or fold, but without a big chip stack and subsequent M, it's just a luxury we have to go without sometimes.

cheers
max

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home