Friday, May 25, 2007

The 2007 World Series of Poker: Lowered Expectations

Earlier this year, frustrated post-Aussie Millions-bustout conversations with TheMasterJ33 led to me declaring that "one bracelet would not be enough" to assuage the pain of two years of losing on the tournament circuit. I wasn't saying I was going to win two bracelets this year, just hinting that I might not be satisfied with "only" one.

At the time I was expecting to be in Vegas for the duration, playing almost every day. Since then I have quit playing poker full-time (go ahead, make your jokes - I played about 77 hrs in January and 85 in February, not including travel time), stopped traveling the circuit, and focused my day-to-day efforts on different pursuits. I now consider poker a hobby, so I no longer have "professional"-level presumptions for the WSOP.

One of the best bits to ever come out of the comedic abyss that was "Mad TV" was a dating service parody called "Lowered Expectations." I guess that's kind of how I'm looking at the 2007 WSOP. Delusions of grandeur now lie by the roadside. I'm not a great tournament poker player and probably never will be.

I have three goals for the 2007 World Series of Poker, none of which were achieved in my two previous WSOP experiences:

1. Play hard in every tournament I enter
2. Have fun in every tournament I enter
3. Make a final table

I plan to play the following events this summer:

Tue, Jun 12 Event #21 - 1.5k No Limit Hold'em Shootout

Wed, Jun 13 Event #22 - 5k No Limit Hold'em

Fri, Jun 15 Event #25 - 2k No Limit Hold'em

Sat, Jun 16 Event #27 - 1.5k No Limit Hold'em

Sun, Jun 17 Event #28 - 3k No Limit Hold'em

Mon, Jun 18 Event #29 - 2.5k No Limit Hold'em Shorthanded

Thu, Jun 28 Event #45 - 5k No Limit Hold'em Shorthanded

Fri, Jun 29 Event #47 - 2k No Limit Hold'em

Sat, Jun 30 Event #49 - 1.5k No Limit Hold'em

Fri, Jul 6 / Sat, Jul 7 / Sun, Jul 8 Event #55 10k No Limit Hold'em World Championship



The pricetag for this bunch is $32,000. Right now I'm at +$27k for the year. With a little luck I'll be able to have 100% of myself in each tourney and still be up for the year even if I strike out. With a little more luck I'll be able to snag a second straight winning WSOP. With a little more luck...

13 Comments:

Blogger Jaheed said...

GO MOON GO

3:05 PM  
Blogger Chris Viox said...

No PLH?! You gotta throw in one at least if possible. I still think it is your best tournament format for you style.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Zak said...

Razz? C'mon a monkey would have great expectations. A definite must play.

8:34 PM  
Blogger TheMasterJ said...

I guarantee moon will make at least one final table

10:54 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Now I'm screwed. Lowered lowered expectations, thanks to the "MasterJ Guarantee."

1:16 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Give em the moon unit

4:24 PM  
Blogger TheMasterJ said...

dont worry moon the masterj guarantee is just as good as the rasheed wallace guarantee.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Shane Schleger said...

I'd love to have fun and make money at the WSOP this year, but my own expectations are so low that my goals for WSOP 2007 read something like this:

1) Stay hydrated

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kwicky said...

LOL Shane!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

Does the busy schedule leave enough time for blogging?

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lowered my expectations for this blog being regularly updated. :)

4:31 PM  
Blogger MandyMandie said...

I've lowered my expectations that you are ever going to add a link to my blog.

4:08 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Blog links have actually been decreased - gonna take something special to get up there at this point.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home