Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Flight of the Phoenix

Like a phoenix, I have risen from the ashes of personal and professional disappointment to heights I have never before reached. Behind a heap of good cards, fortunate table draws, rail support from the Masters Pi and J33, a few ballsy moves that somehow worked, stockpiled positive karma, and one big uncharacteristic suckout to end the day, I was able to win two tables at the $1500 No Limit Hold em Shootout and advance to the final table Tuesday at 2 PM.

Right before the first round, Kirk Morrison came up to me and we talked about Speight's, whose brewery logo was on my shirt. It's probably my favorite shirt and I wear it all the time, always hoping someone will know what Speight's is and talk to me about it. After I finished off Jennifer Harman heads up to win the first table, the dealer told me she was a reader of my blog. My head was spinning and I got pulled over for administrative purposes; I really wish I had gotten her name and talked a little more. Those were two nice cherries on this Sundae of a Monday.

The final table, which includes Fred Goldberg, Daniel Negreanu, Erick Lindgren and maybe Dewey Tomko and Amnon Filippi (still playing as I write this at 3:46 AM), will be tomorrow at 2 PM PST. I have no idea how seating will work. Supposedly it may be sequestered with no audience whatsoever. It may be out in the open. It might be streamed on worldseriesofpoker.com on tape delay. I also think there's a chance ESPN might decide to film it since there will be some pretty big names there.

The payout structure is quite topheavy:

9 $9,828
8 $12,899
7 $15,971
6 $22,113
5 $36,855
4 $68,796
3 $101,351
2 $149,263
1 $264,107

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog almost every day. I really really really hope you do well. Good luck.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck from a complete stranger. Take down some big names for all us "unknowns".

7:53 AM  
Blogger db said...

F@#King Congradulations - KICK ass today!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Two nice cherries on this Sundae of a Monday? Awesome. Good luck.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too, read your blog all the time and wish you the best of luck. Congrats.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom--

I was not surprised, but definitely pleased, to see your name on the list of final table participants. Thanks for your kind words! I'll be rooting for you today.

Claudia (WSOP dealer)

9:13 AM  
Blogger 81Trucolors said...

Tom,

I'm very happy for you. Take it down.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..the "long and winding road" from Caesars Ind final table to today's WSOP final table...Best of Luck... now are you trying to tell us that during the sex in the bed next to you, that you were so focused that you didn't even sneek a peek??? That's a helluva bluff! Stay that focused today and you'll be leaving the tourney with a heavier arm/wrist. I'll be watching the updates and pulling for you, Tom. Mike in Ky.

10:17 AM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Final table is Wednesday, it was a Sundae of a Tuesday, I know my mom is flipping out right now thinking she missed it and wondering what happened. Looks like it is going to be "sequestered" which means no audience and broadcast on worldseriesofpoker.com at 3 PM PST (actually starts at 2 PM, pokernews.com is the best site for updates I think).

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom--

Win it

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a recreational poker player in Denver, I've been following your blog from the past year or so while wandering through the up & down $700 swings at the card rooms in Blackhawk each month.

was checking on WSOP results this mornign and "wow"
...saw your name on the Final Table listing.

As Herb Brooks said before facing the Soviets-

"You're meant to be here. This moment is yours. This is your time."



Good luck from Colorado.

1:22 PM  
Blogger db said...

Hey man, I just read the last hand you played against Steve Levitt. That was a ballsy play on your part with 8 outs and only one card left - that obviously paid off hugely. What read did you have on Levitt?

Anyways, you accomplished one of your goals at the WSOP in the first event you played: "Make a final table".

Congrats again...and your work has only begun - win a bracelet!

2:27 PM  
Blogger MandyMandie said...

Go Tom!

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8 more to go...

Hand #27 - Daniel Negreanu raises from middle position, Fred Goldberg reraises, Negreanu moves all in, and Goldberg calls with . Negreanu shows , and it's a race situation. The board comes , and Negreanu spikes an ace on the river to win the pot. Fred Goldberg is eliminated in ninth place, earning $9,828.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Lazypoo87 said...

Wholy shit Tom's going to win it. Go Tom!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Tom, you deserve this...

9:42 PM  
Blogger Nappy said...

congrats buddy

10:39 PM  
Blogger Non Vintage Apparel said...

well done tom! go get 'em mate! and speight's eh? not a bad kiwi drop. i'm a big fan of monteith's, particularly their radler which is fantastic during the day. they do a fantastic old gold which is great as well!

but none the less, off to pokernews to rail you virtually!

cheers
max
www.acehighwine.com

1:12 AM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Man, Monteith's is excellent. I miss Monteith's.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home