Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hands From The First Table

I recognized three players - Frankie O'Dell to my right, and Jennifer Harman and Howard Lederer across the table. Jennifer got involved in two huge hands early making very marginal plays with big aces on A high boards in limped pots and fading big draws twice. She was the huge chip leader early but just lucky to have those chips I thought. Frankie lost an awkward pot to Howard with a slowplayed AA vs J9 on a board of ATx78, then busted with aces up against a flush. There were some pretty bad players at the table who busted fast in a predictable fashion of losing a cooler, then tilt-panicking and dumping their short stacks. I feel short-stack blowups are one of the biggest ways the amateurs play worse than the pros - they panic and throw their tournament away when a comeback is still possible.

I won a good pot with a slowplayed AK against AJ on a board of A7437 where I may have missed a little value, then lost it back with JJ against 55 on a board of T55K8. If I had been raised by quads on the flop here I would have been out less than an hour into the tournament.

Then a pattern emerged which would repeat itself the next two tables: I got all my chips from one loose-aggressive player. There was this maniacal amateur who would raise 83o and other crap like thatin late position all the time. One hand he raised and then I reraised about 60% of my stack with 99. He called so I assumed he was doing a stop n go but heprobably had no idea what a stop n go was. The flop came 9h7h5c and he checked, which was weird. I eventually decided to just stick the rest in and he called with AcQc...okay. The turn was a scary 8c but the river paired the board and I doubled up to a healthy position. The very next hand I raised TT and Howard moved in; I called and outran his KQ and I was now the chipleader.

I extended the lead a bit later when the maniac raised and I reraised from the small blind with 88. He then called half his stack. The flop came JTT and I put him in. He thought for like two minutes and then folded KQ faceup! Getting like 3.5:1 or something. Definitely one of the worst folds I've ever seen...and he was a maniac. This is why the WSOP is such a juicy tournament, even with the outrageous juice Harrah's takes. The fields are the softest you'll ever find withthese buyins. The equity for good players is just so enormous. The maniac rabbit-hunted and found an ace on the river...which would have made me the short stack with like 5 left.

A bit after this I raised and the maniac moved in. I made a marginal call with 98s thinking he was fairly weak...whoops he had jacks and I doubled him up. Then Jennifer won a coinflip against a really solid player and he was short stacked. Not long after I busted him with KK against A3s.

We played three-handed for a while and I accumulated some more chips. One hand Jennifer raised the button, the maniac called and I called with 44. The flop came 844 and we all checked. The turn was a 9 or something and the maniac bet out - I just called and Jennifer mucked. The river was a Q, he bet, I shoved, and he folded. He was eliminated (I think by Jennifer but I don't remember how) a bit later and we were heads up. I think I had 18k and she had about 12k when we started.

I grinded her down a little bit and then she limped the button and I raised with QQ in the BB. She called, then called my bet on a T85 flop. The turn was a 6 putting two flush draws out and I shoved in. She thought for a good two minutes and folded. I now had a lead of like 23k to 7k.
She came back though and took a small lead. One hand I paid off her 74 on a board of 9449K with ace high. In retrospect this was a mistake because she bluffed pretty rarely. At this point I was really, really worried about losing and what it would do to my emotional state having blown a 3:1 chip lead in my first tournament back at the WSOP. Luckily we went on break and MasterJ and PiMaster were there for me.

We played something like two and a half hours heads up. Jennifer and I both play really nitty small-pot poker so it went on forever. You wouldn't think I could outplay a famous pro like Jennifer playing small ball but, as Jennifer would admit later, she's really not that great at no limit hold em. I know her cards were shitty but she was playing too tight, too passively, and not bluffing enough. It took me a while to realize it but eventually I decided to just run over her and it worked - luckily she didn't pick up a hand to trap me in that stage. Soon I had her down to around eight big blinds and called her shove with A5 when she had Q5s...but she sucked out. I ground her down again though and finished her off raising T3o on the button and getting it all in on the turnof T32x when she had JT.

I was really, really excited to win because of all the turmoil in my recent life and how long the heads up went on for. It was a fantastic feeling to have won something.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaheed said...

You remember the part about her reading your blog, right?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

from an old friend in boulder. Beer maker and poker player. good job. I am seriously impressed. As the infmaous movie says. Mike McDermott: Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?

7:18 PM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Poker player and beer DRINKER

9:16 PM  
Blogger nico said...

$2-4 Omaha PL

held As2sAdTd, raised pot with the button

flop 9s5s2

donkey to my right puts me all in so i call with aces and the nut flush draw and the river comes

Ts
river comes a 9 and i got even sicker and yep he had nothing but a pair of nines when he pushed and the T gave him the boat

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo hoo Nico.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home