Thursday, October 25, 2007

High Roller

A lot of people have asked me "what are you going to do with the money?" It's more a question of what am I not going to do, really.

I'm not going to play cash games as much anymore. The need to reliably make money has diminished. I will play when I really feel like it, but that's about it. I haven't played cash since Baden and might end up really getting away from it. I'm going to stay at 10-20 for NL - it's been great for me and I don't really have much desire to play higher.

I've played two tournaments at Caesar's Indiana, got off to great starts both times but busted short of the money. Tomorrow is a $500 event which is notable cause it may be the last live tournament I play with a three figure buy-in. Live 9-handed NLHE tournaments with small buyins are neither interesting nor exciting. In the future I probably won't play many NLHE tourneys with buyins less than $2500 unless they have a twist like 6-max or shootout.

I am trying to decide how many tournaments I am going to attack in the upcoming months. On the one hand, I know the travel and endless crusading after the Holy Grail was not good for me and contributed to my brief retirement. On the other hand, I'm more confident than ever and feel like I finally belong in the big events. Every one I don't play feels like a missed opportunity.

I certainly won't be going to any of the following locations anytime soon:

Tunica
Atlantic City
Foxwoods
Reno

I have a feeling I might get sucked into LA and Vegas WPTs in the following months. We'll see.

As for what I'm actually doing with the money:

Today I bought 33 CDs at a used music/games/books store in New Albany, Indiana. They really sucked me in with the "buy ten, get one free" gimmick.

8 Comments:

Blogger Spencetron said...

I support the Vegas and LA decisions, if you can't swing by AZ, I might be able to make it to one of those places. I just think that this lifestyle of play when you want, will probably work out for you, just don't get complacent like the Rockies in Game 1.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

You're less than five hours away and you're not coming to hang out? Fucker.

I want to know what (at least some of) the 33 CDs are.

11:20 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:00 AM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:04 AM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Offspring - Splinter
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
The Cars - Heartbeat City
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Ween - Chocolate and Cheese
Presidents of the USA - II
Turin Brakes - Jackinabox
Everclear - World of Noise
The Black Crowes - By Your Side
Phish - The Story of the Ghost
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Cure - Disintegration
Death Cab For Cutie - We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits 1974-1978
James Taylor - Greatest Hits
Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
The Decemeberists - Picaresque
Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits
Van Morrison - Moondance
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
The White Stripes - Elephant

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, we should talk asap. I am creating a poker schedule right now for the coming (4-6) months. Is there a need for more money? Not really, but is there a desire to best the best in the world? You bet your ass. Nothing feels great like winning on a big stage.

Besides, even if one drinks tons of beer, that still leaves a few hours left in the month for poker.

Congrats again, whatever you decide to do, you've earned it. Oh and hand over my cd (and maybe a few that you just bought) :)

10:17 AM  
Blogger db said...

Tom,

You need to add Jonny Lang to your music collection if you haven't already. The kid is amazing.

Congrats on your successes.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom-

Just catching up on my poker-blog reading. Congrats on the great finish in Baden!

Claudia

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home