Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bounty Hunter Hand

Near the bubble of the $650 PCA Bounty Hunter tournament. 8-handed. Blinds 1000-2000, 200 ante. I had about 55k which was above average. I found two tens in second position and raised to 4300. It should be noted I would have raised anything decent (down to about 9-8 offsuit, jack-seven suited) in this spot.

The small blind, who had about 65k, called. All others folded. This player was a foreign fellow of about 35 years. I had taken two pots off him, the first when I called his raise in the big blind and the next hand when I called his raise from the small blind with 98s which was eventually shown down. This man was visibly upset with me, as he had come to the table with a mountain of chips and had been grappling with me for control of the table. Although he seemed like a good player, it appeared he was growing frustrated and had it out for me.

The flop came AsKs6x and he bet out 6k fairly quickly. I didn't believe there was any line I could take to buy this pot off him if he had an ace, and maybe not if he had a king. With this knowledge, what is my best course of action?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like a fold. He is likely to playing any A, decent Ks, as well as Q10+, J10+, and all pairs. The thing is, he is likely to barrel since you have been annoying him and your hand can't stand more than one street of betting.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add he likely to play those hands against YOU, possibly not the rest of the table.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like a small raise to like 14k. It'son the bubble, drawy board and you raise in early position. His most likely holdings are mid pocket pairs. This small bet screams " information bet" and the board and situation is to good to just fold. I know this is 1 st level thinking but hey it's near the bubble and you should use your leverage.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ryan Wanger said...

If he had you beat, he'd keep checking to you and letting you bet, right?

But, if you raise, might he reraise just because he's trying desperately to win a pot. You don't want that - he could have QQ or JJ and be bluffing with the best hand, and regardless, you probably don't want to put your whole stack in on this hand.

Is it worth thinking about the future here? Let this one go so he'll give you more credit down the road?

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I over polite post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Well I'm not sure I can beat the comment right above this one in terms of comprehendability, but I think this is an easy fold. In poker tournaments like this there is no reason to jeopardize your stack on a hand where essentially the worst possible flop just came down for what you were holding. He called a preflop raise, he is going to call any bet from you on the flop as well and is likely ahead of your Tens. You can risk your entire stack on a guess when you are most likely behind, or you can fold and live to fight another day.

10:13 AM  
Blogger kwicky said...

I think I would have to make it 20,000. There is over 18,000 in the pot and the chances that this guy will have to fold are just too high. If he decides to play back you can still fold, leaving yourself with 30k. Although it would really sting to lose 20 of your 50k, at this point in the tournament you should be taking risks to get ahold of a stack. Worst case scenario you can still nit your way into the money.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

I like what Paul says. I wonder about doing this in a very physical manner, clearly dividing your stack in half and pushing out the slightly bigger half for the raise (don't make faces or do the strong is weak thing lol but you know what I mean). It looks like you are committed this way.

4:47 PM  
Blogger sorry, I don't blog said...

Fold and move on. You will find better spots...

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I over polite post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.= lolololol.

call two streets to jam turn for maximum stack gainage. pwnz0rs.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home