Thursday, February 25, 2010

NAPT Venetian Day Five

After I busted out in sixth place, I went to fill out some payment paperwork near the poker room. There was some small tournament with plastic chips going, the sort of tournament where someone is all-in every hand and the players will likely end up making a four-way chop at the end. I thought about the first "big buy-in" $500 and $1000 tournaments I played in Minnesota and Vegas, the first time I played the big Party Poker Sunday tournament. I thought about how far I have come, how a really huge score like this could feel disappointing because it wasn't a truly stratospheric life-changing event. It is a wonderful situation to be in when a six figure win can come with a tinge of disappointment.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hear, hear, Moon. That was a fucking awesome run. Can't wait to see you on tv!

Love to hear any stories, strategies or advice you have for us aspiring 6-figure winners of the future.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous WizardofLove said...

That's great to see it from that perspective. I'm playing a small buy-in at a WSOP circuit next week and you inspired me to go deep! It'll be my biggest buy-in and even $1500 would be huge.

Anyway, I caught the live feed and it seemed you weren't catching too many cards, but it was hard to tell. Was that the case? Are you going to LA?

6:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great comment, fantastic perspective! Nice run.

(way to wear the CU shirt too!)

8:32 AM  
Blogger I Wear Flops said...

Nice run.. interesting thoughts at the end, I think your stratospheric life changing event is coming soon. It only takes that one good run over a few tournaments. You've set yourself up for it, I have a suspicion that the 2010 WSOP is going to be one you'll remember for a long time.

9:40 AM  
Blogger 81Trucolors said...

Great perspective Tom,

You helped me win $100 on rush poker and it made me very very happy. I'm so glad I could be there to support. T.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

What a great post. Congrats on making it to the final table, and then surviving with such great perspective.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

I would just like to point out how great this perspective is.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home