Saturday, March 13, 2010

Land of Enchantment

I am in Albuquerque, New Mexico staying with my friend Spencer. Tomorrow I am driving home, hopefully in time to catch the NCAA Selection Show. That will be the last leg of a voyage that took me from Boulder to Las Vegas to Los Angeles to Chicago to San Jose back to LA on to Tempe through Albuquerque and home to Boulder. I drove well over two thousand miles on the trip and took three flights. I played four poker tournaments, ten days of play. I final-tabled one, I bubbled another, I finished in the pack in one, and I busted one early. I held chip leads and I rocked short stacks. I slept in ten different beds. I listened to dozens of different radio stations. I finished one book and started another. I ate a lot of tacos. I drank a lot of different beers. I watched less than thirty minutes of college basketball.

Most nights I found myself in a social scenario that in the past may have made me uncomfortable. I never shied away from these situations. Instead I embraced them. Sometimes they turned out amazing, sometimes just okay, but I was never miserable. Usually I had a blast. I am no social butterfly, but I feel a lot more comfortable throwing myself into potentially awkward situations now than I did at the start of the year.

This was the greatest trip I have ever been on. It was filled with joy and excitement, and I return home wiser and happier than I left.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isnt that what life is about. congrats.

8:41 AM  
Blogger ReMMy said...

Had a blast hanging with you, you're definitely part of an awesome group I'm lucky to know.

1:39 PM  
Blogger jamalik said...

next time stop by SD you bum

3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice nice! I'm glad you are crushing it at poker and at life. YOu totally deserve it! :)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Michal Greenberg said...

Yay! This may be the post optimistic post you've ever had. I just hope that the book you finished was written by George RR Martin :)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Over/Under on days before we see a post containing depressing and bummed out material: 7 days. Just kidding... sort of.

3:35 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

George R R Martin is on the shelf for now...think I will get to #3 when the weather turns cold. Finished book was Sex Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman - a fairly engaging read. Now on to the Agassi book, which is rather exciting.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

Glad you made it home in one piece. Crush your bracket.

9:58 PM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Can I borrow it when you're finished?

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Congrats on the social success. Sometimes the nights when you can get out of your own head are the most rewarding.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home