Monday, February 06, 2006

The Super Bowl


It wasn't the most enjoyable viewing experience for me. The game was crappy, as Super Bowls usually are. I think the two week break just kills the game. The long halftime also destroys any momentum and makes the game feel like two. That will likely never change. The crowd was actually more into the game than any Super Bowl I can remember, but the sterility of the fans is usually a problem as well. The commercials seemed particularly unfunny this year. Bottom line - the Super Bowl is a vastly overrated viewing experience. If I had to rank the best sports viewing events, or even if I didn't have to, it would look something like this:


1. The first four days of the NCAA tournament
2. The second four days of the NCAA tournament
3. Championship Weekend/Selection Sunday
4. The World Cup
5. The World Series
6. The Western and Eastern Conference Finals (NBA)
7. The NBA Finals
8. Championship Sunday (NFL)
9. The Winter Olympics
10. The divisional round of the NFL playoffs
11. The second round of the NBA playoffs
12. The ALCS and NLCS
13. The national championship of college football
14. The Final Four and the NCAA championship
15. The Super Bowl
897. The Daytona 500
5689. The Women's NCAA Championship

Anyways, this Super Bowl was particularly difficult because of the money I had riding on the game. If I had 10k on there, it may have been too hard to watch. If I had made the insane "bet-the-farm" wager as I had considered, it would have been the worst three and a half hours of my life. I was unable to enjoy the end, the Steelers coasting to victory, because of the spread threat. This was unfortunate, especially considering I've been driving the Colorado contingent of the Steel Bandwagon all season long. I don't think I'm going to make any crazy wagers on sports in the future, mainly because I think it would lower my enjoyment of the games.

The good news is I now have another $1050 to bet sports with, and I've already started "investing" it. I'll soon explain how, probably tomorrow.

___

Thursday: -401
Tonight: +6686

Year to date: +2972

1 Comments:

Blogger Bag said...

1. Stanley Cup Finals (With Avalanche)
2. Stanley Cup Playoffs (With Avalanche)
3. The World Cup
4. The Winter Olympics
5. The Summer Olympics
6. NCAA Men's BB Final Four
7. NCAA FB BCS
8. Tennis Grand Slam Finals
9. Stanley Cup Finals (Without Avalanche)
10. AFC, NFC Playoffs
11. ALCS, NLCS
12. Any Avalanche game
13. MLB World Series
14. Stanley Cup Playoffs (Without Avalanche)
15. Super Bowl
16. Masters Final Round
17. Any NHL game
18. Any NFL game
19. Darts
20. PBA Championships
21. NBA Finals
22. NBA Playoffs
...
42. NCAA Women's BB Final Four
43. Spelling Bee
44. Any NBA game
...
60. Any MLB game
61. Figure Skating
...
788. Rolling Stones Halftime Show
789. Counting blades of grass
790. Paint drying
791. Daytona 500
792. Death

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home