Monday, January 30, 2006

Priorities



I was talking to my friend Jamal today about how much poker I played in college. I told him that during my last semester, poker was #5 on the totem pole behind my friends, my girlfriend, academics, and frisbee. Later I realized that this summer in Vegas, where I lost two thirds of my bankroll, poker was pretty much all I did or thought about. Only after going home, taking a break from poker, and playing endless hours of frisbee golf, was I able to return to dominance.

This month I have logged more hours of online poker than ever before. It has also been the only month I have lost except for June 2005. Every day I wake up determined to win back the money I lost the night before, and the cycle has repeated itself. Poker has been the clear #1 priority this month and that just doesn't seem to work for me.

A few minutes ago the Wolf asked me when was the last time I had fun playing poker. I hesitated...and failed to come up with an answer. I don't know that I've had fun playing poker during the last two months. Somewhere along the line I convinced myself I needed to play a ton of hours and "grind" out a ton of money so I could hit the tournament circuit hard this spring. I lost sight of the real key to poker and to life which is having fun.

So now it's time to get back to real life and re-evaluating my priorities, which should go something like this:

1. Friends
2. Girlfriend
3. Sleep
3. Frisbee Golf
4. Ping Pong
5. Beer Pong
6. Rock and Roll
7. The Colorado Buffaloes mens basketball team
8. Avocados
9. Keira Knightley
10. Getting the brakes on my car looked at
11. Poker
12. Making sure the blankets are on the couches so Walker doesn't get pissed off

___

Today: 0

Year to date: -10674

3 Comments:

Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:27 AM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

#12 Blankets on couch has made a strong move up the list since last week where it was unranked.

Pollsters are predicting that unranked SHRIMP is looking to make a top 12 appearance after a strong performance in the last couple weeks.

Those looking for a dark horse pick should keep an eye out for the very under-rated MEAT, which could look to have a break out ranking after a dismal month on the back burner.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Bag said...

The lesser considered bottom twelve priorities...

12. Hand Game
11. Bathing
10. Lindsay Lohan
9. Getting bludgeoned by Pickett
8. Boyfriend
7. CU Buffaloes Women's Basketball
6. Getting pissed at Walker for putting the blankets on the couch
5. Learning to drive
4. Another month of being a vegetarian
3. Becoming a cautionary tale
2. Bagging Groceries
1. ISTEALALL

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home