Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Sit ‘n Go World Championship

Contrary to the extremely vocal protests spewed forth from Harry Demetriou, I personally loved the structure the WSOP team threw together at the last minute for the $2k NLHE Shootout event today at the Rio. With 600 players in the tournament they elected to play 100 6-man tables today, with the 100 winners receiving a solid paycheck and advancing on to round two (10 10-man tables). The round two winners go on to the 10-man final table on Tuesday. It was a nice feeling knowing I’d get to go home and relax before dinner if I got the job done.

I’m not a world-class sit n go artist along the lines of ZeeJustin or Gigabet, but I managed to win my table today and I deserved it. I had a plan and stuck to it, and it worked. Basically my goal was to avoid risking my stack playing big pots before the third level. These things are rarely won before the blinds get big (although one fellow somehow managed to win his table in just 45 minutes). When the third level hit, I picked up some nice hands and busted two of the four remaining players. The heads-up battle was a see-saw, arduous affair. I finally won it after rivering a flush with QQ against KK for most of the chips.

There are tons of quality players left, and my table tomorrow figures to be a lot tougher. I plan on playing some of the tightest poker of my life for the first two hours, then opening up the guns as the blinds rise and players depart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lazypoo87 said...

ROOOOFL!! You forgot to add the 25$ to your YTD section!! I'm comming tomorrow!! I hope you didn't forget!! Can't wait man!! I'll be rooting you on!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

That is the funniest comment I've ever read. You should make some kind of t-shirt with that on it. Oh, and nice job advancing.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home