Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Big Laydown

Today I did something I had never before done or even considered: I unregistered for a poker tournament. Yesterday I played the $1500 NL and didn't really give it everything I had. Last night I watched some of my final table and lost some confidence and desire. When I woke up today I just really wasn't feeling great about my game and my chances in the $3k NL. I walked over to the Rio and unregistered.

I've learned that you just shouldn't play poker unless you really want to. I've made that mistake before and paid a literal price. Friends of mine have made that mistake this WSOP and paid the price. In tournaments I've done well in, I've been hungry, relaxed, and confident. Today I was none of those, so I practiced some good gambling habits and saved my $3000.

Tomorrow is the $2.5k Shorthanded NL, an event I've been looking forward to for a long time. I'll be ready to play.

3 Comments:

Blogger Smartmomma said...

So much of the game is mental. You have to pace yourself. And being your own coach/trainer isn't easy either. Go for it now that you're ready!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

I like the decision. It reminds me of Federer pulling out of the Wimbledon warm-up. You gotta be ready when your number is called. Also, on a side note, my friend Dan is playing in a semi-pro basketball league in Tucson this summer. I went to his first game on Friday night and see him lining up against my childhood hero and former Harlem Globetrotter, Eugene Edgerson. This must mean something, right??

6:07 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Edgerson! I remember that guy.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home