Sunday, January 20, 2008

Six

What a sweet tournament. I probably had more fun today playing poker than any other day except the EPT final table. I wound up sixth for about $19k, leaving me in the red for Australia and 2008 but reinvigorated and fired up for the rest of the year. PiMaster got 9th I think. The structure of this tournament was so fantastic and so much fun. Playing live poker with reasonably deep stacks six-handed is about 800 times as fun as playing $1500 WSOP NLHE tourneys.

I played quite well today, reminiscent of that final table in Baden. I really zeroed in on this tight, solid image. Playing and watching SirWatts, Lee Watkinson, and PiMaster in this tournament has me centered on developing and sharpening the tight, solid style of play. These guys get people to fold hands in critical spots and I was able to do that a couple times in this tournament. Maybe I am just being results oriented but I feel like I have learned to turn it on and play clutch poker late in tournaments, which used to be my weakness. I made many small mistakes throughout the two days. There were probably at least a dozen, maybe even thirty hands, that I could have played better. I'm still a long ways off from my goal of "the perfect tournament." Today though, I got fired up to continue pursuing that goal.

Tomorrow we all fly home. Next on the tournament circuit is the FTOPS VII, then the LAPC, Wynn Classic, and Shooting Star.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom - hope you had fun because the pictures you included and those you painted with your blog text were great. Let's see - a tennis tournament, travel along a wonderful ocean coast and playing good poker. I would call that a great trip! Love Uncle Jim

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran into Mike Binger in the hallway after you both busted at the final table, just before the player party. In no small words he stated that you were the toughest--and possibly the best--player down the stretch. He went on to say that you gave him all kinds of problems and reiterated how good of a player he thought you were. Nice work.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home