Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Always Make New Mistakes

My "boss" showed me this today at "work." It resonated.

I make a lot of mistakes. Always have. A few recent ones:
  • Bleaching the carpet in our Vegas rental house after Bailey barfed on it (cost me $700)
  • Leaving my hiking boots in Ouray
  • Misclicking in a recent fantasy auction draft, failing to grab Peyton Manning (wound up with Michael Vick instead)
  • Ordering that last beer Saturday night in Milwaukee
  • Letting the kids erupt the volcano in the sandbox five minutes after I knew they needed to start cleaning up

Always make new mistakes. Wise words. Not as easy as they sound.

Not too long ago a friend several years younger told me in an email he wasn't "making the same stupid mistakes with girls anymore", to which I laughed - because I still make the same stupid mistakes with girls I have since I was fifteen. I still ground comebackers to the pitcher every fifth at-bat in softball. I still leave my things at friends houses half the time and have to go back to retrieve them. I still don't account for rush hour traffic to Denver, I often throw the disc into the tree on hole 5 at South Boulder. and I still think I can make money betting on the NFL.

Always make new mistakes. Won't be easy. But that sounds like a great idea.

5 Comments:

Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Hole 8 = n00blet W0lf NEMESIS.

Make new mistakes but keep the old. ...I would miss you.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Chris Viox said...

"Mistakes just point the way to something that we haven't learned yet and obviously need to know....Even when we make a mistake where we supposedly knew better, if we really knew better, then we wouldn't have made the choices that we did that resulted in an outcome we define as a mistake." - from a book you may like I am reading on psychology and trading. even though it is on trading, it pretty much is great for life in general.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wise dog once told me that making new mistakes is okay, and lets you know what not to do in the future. Repeating mistakes means you aren't learning from the mistakes you already made.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Geoff said...

Hey, I throw MY disc in the trees on hole #5 at South Boulder too!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That person is still making tons of mistakes with girls. Oh, rest assured, he is. But they are now.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home