Sunday, July 30, 2006

WSOP Main Event Day One: Animal Farm

I was on tilt basically all day. Most of the players in this thing were pretty horrendous, which inspired the Gambler to refer to the tournament as an "animal farm." However, I got off to a very poor start. The first two levels I didn't catch any cards, I failed to pounce on some pots that could have been won with a bet or a raise, and I missed some huge draws (including an open-ended straight flush draw). I was down to 3000 in level two, then got all in with AJ against Ad7d on a J54 flop with two diamonds, and it came 3-2 for a chop. With an unreadable maniac to my right and Billy Baxter to my left, the outlook at this point was bleaker than Orwell.

I got all the way up to 27k not long after the dinner break after a double-up, a semi-bluff, and some other big hands. At this point I was fired up, confident, and ready to go on a dominant run. Then things fell apart and I went down to 16k (four consecutive steals ran into monsters), got it up to 26k after a nice take with aces, fell down to 11.5k after losing 6k with AK and some other very frustrating hands, and grinded up to my final of 17,925.

It was not the day I envisioned; in fact it was the most frustrating day of poker I've ever had. But I'm still in.

Gambler is out, Fish has 38k, PiMaster has 51k.

More tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger jim and carol W. said...

im so proud of both of you. you have held up under tremendous pressure that seasoned pros have trouble with. ive seen so many of the "big names" bust out and yall are still in!! im praying for good health, calm nerves, clear thinking and of course, good cards. thanks for the update, im VERY interested to know whats happening. and remember, dont take out my baby fish, just kidding. go for it!!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home