Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Notre Dame Poker


It's February, which means Notre Dame fans are sweating despite living in one of the coldest, cruddiest climates in America. No offense, MasterJ. The Notre Dame basketball team has a habit of living "on the bubble" this time of year, uncomfortably waffling between in and out of the NCAA tournament. They usually end up narrowly missing.

February is also my least favorite month of the year. The weather sucks. I'm sick of the winter. There's no more football. The spring is still a ways off. There was a nasty ice storm tonight in Boulder that prevented me from going to see "Children of Men" as I planned.

My sessions have been Notre Damesque lately. There's no guarantee of a win. If it is, it's been a small win. I haven't been losing, but I haven't been winning all that much. I feel like this might actually be the worst run of cards I've ever gone through. I don't really have any idea though. Last winter might have been worse. I have been making so many absurd laydowns, and I think they've been correct. I just can't see these guys making these moves in big pots without the goods.

My patience has been good. Not perfect, but good. It's just a fight to keep my head above water usually, waiting for big hands that haven't been coming. I do think in general I'm playing quite well. I'm getting exercise, and my head is clear while playing.

I'm hoping my sacrifices to the poker gods were finally satisfied tonight. A hand came up where I raised As7d on the button. The BB called. The flop came 9s8x2x and we both checked. The turn brought the 6s and he checked. I bet moderate and he made a ~2.7x raise. I called. If a spade hit, I was planning on having a flush. The river was the 5c, and my opponent bet $1200 into the ~$700 pot. I threw it away. I never seriously thought about calling.

Right after that pot, I won two monster pots with the other guy below 10% when the money went in, and I cruised to my first big win in a while. I'd like to think the ice storm has passed, and the spring is about to bloom in Kazakhstan.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicely posted. This won't add to your confidence, but my girlfriend thinks you have a promising career as a writer. :)--Tru

9:58 AM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

It doens't get said enough but I certainly agree. "Notre Damesque" should become common lingo for two separate things: treading water but not excelling; and being insanely talented, extremely overrated, and coming up short in every big game.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how dare you diss notre dame basketball. A few legends have come from notre dame. Do LaPhonso Ellis and Troy Murphy ring a bell? Notre dame is gonna win it all this year! NIT champs baby

-masterj

1:00 PM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Sorry MasterJ - Notre Dame is gonna get crushed by a certain favorite team of mine in the NIT championship.

ps - Moon you just dreamed I posted that...time to wake up. WAKE UP>>>>>>

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. You rivered the straight with no flush on the board and threw it away? According to your post the only hand that beats you is 10 7.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

Are you talking about men's basketball or women's basketball?

9:10 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

Yes, the only hand that beat me was T7, and that's what he had. I think Duke gets in as a 9 seed and gives a 1 seed a scare in the 2nd round before running out of gas and losing like they did to Carolina.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you possibly lay down a 7 there. You can't possibly put your opponent on T7.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home