Monday, April 05, 2010

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)


Tonight Butler plays Duke for the NCAA basketball national championship. The potential is there for an unforgettable, galvanizing, anything is possible, where-were-you-when-that-happened Upset. The prospect of this almighty upset has me quaking with anticipation.

Championship Monday has always been, for me, the official first day of spring. The end of one sports season and the start of another. In Boulder March is the snowiest month of the year; April and May have the best weather.

The first quarter of 2010 is in the books. It has been a revolutionary start of the year for me. I am in such a better place now than I was three months ago. I look back at that version of myself with pity and disgust, and chuckle at some of the things I believed, some of the choices I made. I can feel powers rising within me, powers I never knew I possessed.

But I don't pretend to know it all. The most significant things I have learned are how little I do know about myself and about others, how confusing and challenging this life is, how difficult the journey will be. There are no quick fixes; there is no such thing as a free lunch. I am nowhere close to the man I aspire to be.

6 Comments:

Blogger Spencetron said...

God I love spring.

9:00 PM  
Blogger 81Trucolors said...

Unlike climbing a mountain, in life if you reach your destination they bury you.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

Not tru with all mountains...

9:34 AM  
Blogger Michal Greenberg said...

Wish I'd read this before the game! I would've been way less tense knowing that you thought Butler was gonna win.

3:19 PM  
Blogger GnightMoon said...

I didn't think Butler was going to win, just hoped it - the two same sentiments 90% of America felt.

2:58 AM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

What a glorious 10% tho...

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home