Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Escondido

I didn't get the memo that there are towering Lord of the Rings style mountains in southern California. I know American geography better than 99% of people I think but I had no idea of the mountainous nature of the land in this corner of the state. I'm pretty sure my aunt and uncle took me on this drive before but I had no memories of these peaks. About 75 miles from San Diego on I-8 the highway suddenly climbs more than 4,000 vertical feet to a series of rocky, windswept passes. Today those passes were in the clouds, and it was raining. It was pretty terrifying, and it only got worse once I descended into the San Diego area and the road became 7 lanes wide each way and the drivers got crazy and the rain started coming down harder and I didn't know where I was going. San Diego is the most mountainous metropolitan area I've ever seen in my life. Again, I somehow had no idea of this.

I eventually clawed my way to Escondido, which isn't too far from Harrah's Rincon where the 5k tournament is tomorrow. Toph managed to get up here on his own after missing a flight. I'm thankful to be alive, healthy, and wealthy, and look at tomorrow as a chance to relax doing what I love.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, you survived a rainy scooter tour of New Providence Island in the Bahamas.

I don't know how the &*ck you made it, but you did. :)

Tru.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, you survived a rainy scooter tour of New Providence Island in the Bahamas.

I don't know how the &*ck you made it, but you did. :)

Tru.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Cyrus said...

san diego girls =/ ughhh so many, so nice

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home