Monday, February 19, 2007

Idiot

I do some stupid shit. I really do.

I forgot to bring my clothes on this trip. I left them all in a hamper in my room. I realized that this morning.

I didn't check the fluids in my car before embarking on this 1,000+ mile road trip. This became a rather pertinent issue shortly before I crested Emory Pass, the surprisingly high and harrowing gateway between Truth or Consequences and Silver City. The engine oil pressure light went on, accompanied by a chilling beep. There wasn't enough oil in the engine.

It's not that I'm an idiot. I don't do this stupid shit beacuse I don't know better or I can't process information. It's that I'm lazy in the brain. I know you're supposed to check the fluids in your car before a long trip and I know you should check the rooms in your house for forgotten items before leaving for over a month. I just don't do a lot of this elementary stuff a lot of the time. I don't think it through. I get easily distracted by mundane tasks and I don't make them a priority, regardless of their necessity.

Most of my poker friends are like this. Most of them are even worse than me I think. I'm not sure what causes this disability of organization. Does our gaming prowess come from a deficiency in basic task completion, two different intelligences requiring opposite forms of thought? Did our quick rise to financial success make us forget the importance of basic societal skills? Or are we just lazy, and that is why we became attracted to the gaming, gambling lifestyle?

It's getting to be embarassing. I can just buy some new clothes, and I appear to have taken care of the oil problem. But eventually this little problem is going to cost me dearly.
__

I got to Tucson at midnight. Spencer and I went to a park nearby and shot hoops. There was a lot of snow on Emory Pass, but that was the end of my winter. It's in the sixties as I write this, and I won't be north of Vegas till mid-March. I made it through the winter, and I couldn't be more excited about that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris Viox said...

You need a wife (or a Truman). BTW Truman that's a compliment that you can actually keep Paul somewhat together.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Cyrus said...

man i wish my winter was over =[

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Classic Fuller. I love it.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Bag said...

Thomas Fuller, ummmm.

2:53 PM  
Blogger TheGraveWolf said...

Some people forget their bathing suit, some forget socks or dress shoes...you forgot CLOTHES. Good lord sir. How many times would you have left your head on top of the car if it weren't attached to your neck?? I don't think it is fair to blame this on poker. You and Cadet Fish (rank: space) seemed to have these issues before poker as well. Enjoy your time in the sun - hopefully it will be warm enough that you don't need CLOTHES.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

not to have too much fun at your expense, but this was just about the most fun i've ever had reading one of your blog entries. it made me think of the packing bet between you and kevin.

i'd like to think that winter is ending most places. it's 42 here today.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Kwicky said...

wow tom, that takes a lot of talent! i must say, though, reading this post and the wolf's inevitable response to it brought tears to my eyes as i was laughing so hard. maybe our forgetfullness serves a greater good - namely bringing smiles and wonderment to other people's lives ;)

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home